Sunday, March 7, 2021

Perils Resulting from the Investment Guidance on TV Channels.

 The Nifty and Sensex had risen consistently since 1992. I have watched many shares giving returns more than any other investment. 

I am not an expert on the Share Market. However, I have watched the share market since 1988. I have lost a lot of money but I have persisted with the share market. The reason was that in some years I have made a good profit. In a few cases, the returns from the share market had financed some of my ventures. In the ultimate analysis, I had never borrowed money from others. On an experiential basis, I can say that I am quite comfortable with the share market by now. 


Earlier, in the 1990s, the tips were the in thing. Then, there were weekly newspapers that provided information and guidance on the share market. The leading magazine was also a good source of information. There were publications, which provided a good peep into a large number of companies. They were costly publication but they provided in-depth knowledge about the financial status of the company. However, after such a journal was released, many things happened in the company and the economy of the country. As such, those were merely an aid for making decisions on investments. 


Then the period of the internet came. I learned a lot from the Money Control dot com. By 2003, there were business channels giving guidance on the share market. They had filled a major gap in the availability of information on the share market. 


During the days of tips, I had indulged and watched an episode of a script named Napa Papers. I even burnt my fingers in that episode. However, I learned a few lessons from that case. I learned that there were people who influence your investment decisions by creating an atmosphere. 


Now a similar thing, I have felt in the case of the information provided through business channels. If I had said it earlier, then I would not be making any sense to it. An incidence had occurred last month, which can convey the real message. 


There was a very popular anchor on CNBC Awaaz. His name was Hemant Ghai. The following links to the reputed business newspaper will provide in-depth information. 


Hemant Ghai Case Link of Business Standard 



Report by Outlook


SEBI has performed its job. However, I still believe that the NAPA Paper case continues to happen on the TV business channels every day. The only safeguard is that an individual investor must develop a discerning ability to select the information for making an investment decision. I have learned a lot from Money Control and CNBC 18 and CNBC Awaaz. I also watch other channels for information. However, I prefer CNBC Awaaz presently. Even then, a feeling remains after listening to all the advice that somewhere they are sponsored or motivated. 







No comments:

Post a Comment